Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From The Ultimate Brownie Book. Although decadent to the nth degree, these brownies are actually light because the sour cream leavens that batter, causing them to rise up high in the pan. They will stay fresh for four days. They can be wrapped in wax paper, sealed in a freezer-safe bag, and frozen for up to 4 months.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (regular or low-fat, but not fat-free)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Melt the butter and both kinds of chocolate in a double boiler or carefully in the microwave. Allow the mixture to cool for ten minutes.
- Beat the sugar into the melted chocolate mixture with an electric mixer for 2 minutes until smooth and silky. Add the sour cream and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Beat the eggs in one at a time for one minute each, then beat the vanilla inches.
- Stir in the flour mixture just until combined. Do not beat.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes and cool for 30 minutes.