Recipe by Rhiannon and Matt
Everyone loves a banana cake and this one can be made in advance, stored at room temperature in an airtight container and then warmed up in the microwave. Easy! To warm, place cake on a microwave-safe plate lined with baking paper. Heat, uncovered, on MEDIUM-LOW DEFROST (30%) for 4 to 6 minutes or until warm to the touch. Ice cake while warm. Source: Super Food Ideas May 2005
- 125 g butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mashed banana (you will need 2 large, very ripe bananas)
- 2 1⁄4 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 180 g white chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Grease base and sides of a 7cm deep, 19cm square cake pan and line with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and creamy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each.
- Using a metal spoon, gently fold in sour cream and bananas.
- Sift flour and bicarbonate of soda over batter and gently fold through.
- Spoon batter into cake pan, smooth surface, and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Stand for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Place chocolate and sour cream in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Heat, stirring constantly with a metal spoon, for 3 minutes or until smooth.
- Remove from heat and stand for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened, then pour icing over cake, allowing it to drizzle down sides. Serve warm.