Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another family favorite from the Best of Bridge Collection of Cookbooks. This is a very different cake from any of the others posted in this site, we love the spongy texture of this cake. Somehow, it just hits the spot. It is an excellent cake served warm with whip/ice cream, or served cold and plain! Great for lunch boxes as it holds up when travelling.
- Preheat oven to 350F (160C).
- Combine flour, brown sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until crumbly.
- Stir in the chopped nuts (no pecans try substituting walnuts or other nuts on hand).
- Remove 2 3/4 cup of the crumb mixture and press into an ungreased 9"X13" baking dish.
- To the remaining crumb mixture in the original bowl add the cinnamon, baking soda, salt, sour cream, vanilla and egg.
- Bled this mixture very well and then stir in the apples.
- Spoon this mixture evenly over the crust.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cut into serving sized pieces, serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream and sauce if desired.
- This is an excellent cake the next day served cold as well.
This makes a really moist, tasty square. We served it with warm dulce de leche (caramel sauce) and vanilla ice cream.