Recipe by Charlotte J
Sour cream makes these a moist muffin don't over bake.
Top Review by ShaeCa
I ran across this recipe in the low fat/diabetic category... and it is that. I did make a couple of changes, substituting low fat sour cream for the full fat and half the sugar for Splenda. The result was more like a biscuit than a muffin but we did enjoy eating them. I'm looking for low fat and low sugar recipes and this one wasn't one of the best, but it could be because of the changes I made. Thanks for posting this CharlotteJ !
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons oil (or melted shortening)
- 1 medium apple, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 3 tablespoons sugar.
- Combine egg, sour cream, and oil in bowl and pour into dry ingredients all at once.
- Stir partially, then add apples which have been peeled, diced, and sprinkled with nutmeg and 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Stir until all dry ingredients are moist but still lumpy, about 17-25 strokes.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin tins, filling tins only 2/3 full.
- Bake at 425° for 20-28 minutes.