Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
A recipe from A&P
Top Review by Chef Kate
I LOVE this cake! I followed some reviewer suggestions--added a chopped apple to the batter, doubled the vanilla. I also used four apples for the topping and used espresso powder instead of instant coffee. But I stuck to the butter/sugar amounts and the sweetness and butteriness was just right. It sliced beautifully -- I got12 nice sized pieces plus some "cook's treat" bits off the ends. I meant to take a picture but somehow it all just got sliced and taken away before I could...Thanks, Dreamer!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled cored and sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cream butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and stir in sour cream.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and stir into wet ingredients until just mixed.
- In another bowl, combine all ingredients for topping except the apples.
- Toss the topping with the sliced apples.
- Scrape the cake batter into a 9x12 inch cake pan and level.
- Arrange the apple topping over the batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature.