Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
a juicy fruity flan with a nice spicy topping
for the shortcrust pastry
- 225 g flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 125 g butter
- 3 -4 tablespoons water
for the filling
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons muscovado sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
for the topping
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 500 g plums, halved and pitted
- Make the shortcrust pastry: sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter cut into small pieces until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the cold water and mix to a dough. Chill for 15 minutes before using to line a 24cm flan tin.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Mix the filling ingredients together.
- Place the plums cut side up onto the flan case. Pour the filling on top.
- Put into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Mix the demerara sugar and the mixed spice and sprinkle onto the flan. Put the flan back in the oven at 230°C for another 20 minutes until golden on top.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes before serving or serve cold with vanilla ice-cream.