Prep 3 hrs
Cook 8 mins
These cookies melt in your mouth, a great Xmas cookie. You can shape these into balls or you can roll them and cut out shapes. When making the cutout cookies, chill any dough trimmings before rerolling them. Note: prep time includes chill time.
- 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 dash salt
- pecan halves
- chopped pistachio nut
- Grind the 1/2 cup pecans in a food grinder, food processor, or blender. Stir together ground nuts, flour, and baking powder.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat butter or margarine and shortening with electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat till fluffy. Add egg, sour cream, and vanilla; beat well.
- Add Dry ingredients; beat till well combined.
- Divide dough in half; cover and chill the dough at least 3 hours.
- Working with half of the dough at a time, on a lightly floured surface, roll to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut with desired cookie cutter, or you can shape dough into 1 inch balls.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake cutout cookies in 375 deg. F. oven for 7 to 8 minutes, or till done. For ball shaped cookies, bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack; cook.
- Make lemon glaze: In a mixer bowl beat 1 egg white till frothy. Add 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and a dash of salt. Beat well. Add a few drops of food coloring if desired.
- Spread or drizzle cookies with lemon glaze. Decorate with halved pecans, or chopped or halved pistachio nuts.