Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I love the taste of lemon. Lemon and sour cream go wonderfully together and what better way of combining them than in this lovely pound cake!
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, room temp
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon rind
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease 16-cup tube pan.
- Dust with cake flour; tap out excess flour.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl at medium speed until fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar and beat 5 minutes.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Beat in lemon juice and peel.
- Using rubber spatula, mix in dry ingredients.
- Mix in sour cream.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake cake until tester inserted near center comes out clean, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Let cake cool in pan on rack 15 minutes.
- Cut around cake in pan.
- Turn out cake.
- Carefully turn cake right side up on rack and cool completely.
- (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Wrap in foil and let stand at room temperature.).
This is a terrific pound cake. The flavour of the lemon and the sour cream really compliment each other. It is easy and quick to make. It filled the house with a lovely lemon smell while it was cooking. We hopped into the cake as soon as we could. Oh my gosh, the taste is heaven. I was concerned about the amount of sugar in the recipe but I stuck to the recipe and sure was rewarded. This is a MUST TRY recipe. Thank you Bev. :-)
Very good cake. The texture is soft and moist. It rose very high but It was not as buttery as I would like and it was a bit on the sweet side. The next time I will reduce the sugar by 1/2 cup. UPDATE: I went back and changed from 4 to 5 stars because this cake tastes exceptional the next day and the day afterward. It got more mellow, the buttery flavor came out and the ingredients seem to meld together perfectly. Even after 3 days, the cake is still very moist and soft. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
I made this cake today and it was fabulous.The texture came out just right because I added a 1/4 tsp. soda to sour cream and stir before adding to batter mixture.I also used Bakewell baking powder due it allows cakes to rise better creating a lighter cake.It is an awesome baking powder you can find at William Sonoma stores.