Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a great casserole that I have been making for years, it's one of my family's favorite dishes. Feel free to adjust all ingredient amounts to suit taste. I usually season the ground beef/onion mixture with seasoned salt and add in some cayenne pepper for heat but that is optional.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (adjust to taste) (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (or more or less if desired)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 large green onion, finely chopped (can use 2 onions)
- 3 cups cooked fine egg noodles
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or more if desired)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef with onion, garlic and chili flakes (if using) over medium heat until meat is browned and no longer pink; drain fat then stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Add tomato sauce and sugar; bring mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally (season with salt and pepper about halfway through of cooking time).
- Transfer meat mixture to a greased baking dish; set aside.
- In a bowl beat cream cheese and sour cream at low speed until smooth.
- Add in green onions then stir to combine.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the ground beef in the dish.
- Top with cooked noodles, then sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the noodles.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.