1 hr 30 mins
I came up with this dish just the other day when my fiancé asked for a ham that night for dinner. I usually make regular old mashed potatoes with ham, but that night I just didn't feel like it. So I scrambled through my kitchen a bit and came up with these bad boys.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large baking potatoes, peeled
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cream or 1/2 cup milk
- 10 sprigs fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces munchee cheese or 8 ounces another white cheese, grated
- 1Preheat your oven to 350°F and line the bottom of a 9x9-inch square baking pan with foil (I use release foil, but if you're not, grease the foil).
- 2With a really sharp knife (if you know how to do it) or a mandolin, cut the potatoes just about paper thin (like potato chips); place slices in a bowl of water and set aside.
- 3In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, melt the butter then add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 3-5 minutes or until it starts to smell nutty.
- 4Whisk in the broth and the cream then bring it to a boil.
- 5Remove from the heat and add the chives, sour cream, salt, and pepper.
- 6Spread a little of the chive sauce on the bottom of the lines pan then place two layers of potatoes on top of that.
- 7Spread more of the chive sauce on that, sprinkle with cheese and start again the two layers of potatoes, then the cream sauce, then the cheese (You should get about 4 to 5 layers if the potatoes are really thinly sliced).
- 8Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes then remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes (the potatoes should fork tender, and if they're not, just cover them and cook them for another 10-15 minutes).
- 9Let rest on your counter for at least 10 minutes before cutting.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sour Cream and Chive Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 257.7
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 45.8 mg
- Sodium 276.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: