Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Excellent rice recipe to serve with sweet and sour dishes. Try it with Asian chicken or pork kabobs.
- Fill large pot with water; add 2 tablespoons salt and soak rice for two hours; drain.
- In large nonstick pot, add 9 cups water, 2 tablespoons salt and pre-soaked rice; bring to boil stirring gently occasionally to prevent rice from sticking; cook until al dente; Drain.
- Rinse rice with cold water, then shake colander to remove excess water; set aside.
- In skillet, fry onion in 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter until golden; lower flame.
- Add saffron and sour cherries to onions; simmer for 15 minutes, being careful not to burn.
- Cover bottom of nonstick pot with olive oil.
- Separate one piece of pita bread and place it on the bottom of pot.
- Spoon thick layer of rice over pita bread; spoon layer of sour cherry preserves over rice, then alternate layers, forming a mound.
- Poke holes in rice mixture with handle of spatula to allow steam to rise.
- Mix until rice takes on color of preserves.
- Melt remaining 11/2 sticks of butter (6 ounces); pour evenly over rice. (If juice from cherries gathers around edges of pot, skim off excess so tadiq at bottom won't be mushy.).
- Cover with clean towel and put lid on.
- Place pot on medium heat.
- When you hear sizzling at the bottom (after about 5 minutes), bring down heat to low. Cook covered for 45 minutes to an hour.