Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
In 'Williams-Sonoma: Muffins'
Make and share this Sour Cherry Muffins With Coconut Streusel recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup milk
- 16 ounces pitted sour red pie cherries, drained and dried on paper towels (jarred or canned)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Grease 12 standard muffin cups with butter or butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray.
- Streusel--stir together the brown sugar and flour in a small bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut or rub in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in the coconut; set aside.
- To make the muffins--in a bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs, and half-and-half.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the egg mixture.
- Beat until thick and creamy.
- The batter will be slightly lumpy; do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter into each muffin cup, filling it one-third full.
- Drop in a few cherries, add batter just to cover, and then drop in a few more cherries.
- Spoon on more batter until the cups are filled level with the rims.
- Sprinkle each with 1 heaping tablespoon of coconut streusel.
- Bake until golden, dry, and springy to the touch, 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Unmold the muffins; serve warm or at room temperature.