Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
I just love the tang of sour cherries in bakery! They come available in jars or cans and are packed in water. They are often labeled "pie cherries" but do not substitute cherry pie filling. This recipe is from Williams-Sonoma.
Top Review by ddavidheiser
My boyfriend and I loved these, and so did my coworkers when I took them into work. Very fun and easy to make! Would be just as yummy without the streusel if you don't like coconut.
For the Coconut Streusel
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
For the Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half (half milk & half cream) or 1 cup milk
- 1 (16 ounce) canpitted sour red pie cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease 12 standard muffin cups with butter. Drain the sour cherries and dry them on paper towels.
- Make the Coconut Streusel by stirring together the flour and brown sugar in a small bowl. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut in or rub in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the coconut. Set aside.
- Make the muffins by stirring together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in another bowl.
- In still another bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs and half-and-half. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the egg mixture. Beat until thick and creamy. The batter will be slightly lumpy. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the batter into each muffin cup, filling 1/3 full. Drop in a few cherries and add batter just to cover and then drop in a few more cherries. Spoon on more batter until the cups are filled level with the rims. Sprinkle each with 1 heaping tablespoon of the Coconut Streusel.
- Bake until golden, dry, and springy to the touch, 20-25 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Turn out the muffins. Serve warm or at room temperature.