Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
I think I got this off the net a long time ago. I have also made it with semi sweet cherries and it was very good.
- 3 lbs sour cherries (about 4 cups)
- 7 cups sugar
- 6 ounces liquid fruit pectin
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Wash, stem, and pit cherries.
- Chop them small pieces.
- Put fruit and sugar in a large saucepan.
- Boil hard for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in liquid pectin.
- Skin 5 minutes.Add almond extract,.
- Put in jars and seal with hot lids.
- I sometime do a 5 minute hot bath, but not everytime.
I LOVED this recipe! I used both Certo liquid pectin and Ball liquid pectin. Both worked great. They set up great, and the kids love the jam on their waffles and pancakes in the morning! Thank you so much!!!!
Perfect Sour Cherry Jam! This was my 3rd attempt at making sour cherry jam, so I only did a half batch. 2 cups of cherries, 3 cups sugar and 1 - 3oz package certo pectin. (it made 3 - 8oz jars) I would recommend stirring it for a few minutes before putting into jars. This way the fruit will disperse throughout the jelly.
The finished product was WAY too sugary, I was pretty disappointed. I am still hoping to be able to mix into plain yogurt and have it taste decent, we'll see.