Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
my husband's favorite...
- 1 cup sour cherry, drained, reserve juice
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red food coloring
- Spray an 8" pan with non stick spray.
- Place cherries in pan, (after draining them, reserve juice in small bowl) set aside.
- Heat cherry juice, one tbls flour and 1/8 tsp salt.cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes; Add almond extract and a few drops of red food coloring, if desired; Pour over cherries.
- Sift remaining flour with salt, baking powder and remaining sugar -- , Blend in margarine, till crumbly --, Stir in milk.Drop by tblsful over cherry mixture, brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar to taste.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 425*.
This recipe is brilliant! Everyone who tasted the cobbler was amazed. However, I found the amount of sugar used way too little. I usually add at least a cup of sugar to the cherries, otherwise it's just too sour. And I always bake it at least 45 minutes.
Excellent! I used sweet cherries and apple juice instead of cherry juice, but it still turned out scrumptious. The topping in particular was wonderful... flavorful, fluffy, and golden. Thank you for an easy, wonderful recipe!