Recipe by Pepita
From a Canadian Living Muffins and Cookies book. The original recipe was for blueberries and suggested sweet cherries as a possible substitution. I found it much more interesting with sour cherries - and there's plenty of brown sugar in here to compensate for the tartness of the cherries.
Top Review by MollyJ
I made these with dried cherries which I soaked in water and the orange juice (from the zested orange I used). The dried cherries makes these pretty calorie dense but very satisfying. I also used 1/2 t of cinnamon because there is no such thing as too much cinnamon.
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 grated lemon, rind of (or orange)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cherry
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine sugar, oats, whole wheat and all-purpose flours, baking powder, cinnamon and lemon rind. Beat together milk, oil and egg; pour over dry ingredients and mix just until moistened but not over-mixed. Gently fold in cherries.
- Spoon into large lined muffin cups, filling three-quarters full. Bake in 400 F (200 C) oven for 20-25 minutes or until tops are firm to the touch.