1 hr 20 mins
This is a simple, elegant chocolate dessert, with a slightly rustic look; it's perfect for dinner parties or any night. It has a wonderful combination of textures from the crust of the torte the moistness of the cake and cherries and the slight crunch from the almonds. We've been known to devour one with another couple as we played pinochle; a slice between hands and soon it would be gone! You can serve it warm (my favorite way) or at room temp. Always serve with real whipped cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pre heat oven to 350 degrees, butter a 9" spring-form pan dust with ground almonds (or fine, dry unseasoned bread crumbs), shake out extra, set aside.
- 2Drain cherries, then spread in a single layer on several thicknesses of paper towel, while you continue to prepare the torte.
- 3Melt chocolate in double boiler or microwave, watch carefully, don't allow any water to get in the chocolate or it will seize.
- 4Cream the butter, add extracts and sugar, beat well; add eggs one at a time beating after each until mixed.
- 5On low add chocolate, beat until mixed, add almonds, then flour mixing just until incorporated.
- 6Spread about half or a little more of the batter into the pan (it is thick, using an offset spatula helps) place cherries one at a time over batter in a single layer, they can touch the sides, spoon and spread the remaining batter over the cherries, going slow helps prevent pull up.
- 7Bake 45 -50 minutes, the cake will be dry and crusty on top and a toothpick will come out clean. Cool for 15 minutes on a rack, then remove sides of the pan, let stand until almost cool ( to serve warm this is about 30 minutes).
- 8To remove bottom of the pan - cover cake with a rack and flip over, remove pan bottom - you may need to slip a thin spatula between the torte and pan bottom to loosen, cover cake with serving plate and flip back over ( I've been know to serve from the pan bottom, just keep your thin spatula handy).
- 9Note: Almonds should be finely ground in a blender or food processor, they should be almost powdery). Almond meal or almond flour (fancy names for ground almonds) can be found in some health food stores or at Trader Joes, though it can be very pricey under some labels. I prefer the freshness of grinding the almonds myself.
- 10Use real whipping cream unless you have dairy issues; a little kirsch added as you whip it is a nice touch.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sour Cherry Chocolate Torte
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 644.0
- Calories from Fat 432
- Total Fat 48.0 g
- Saturated Fat 25.1 g
- Cholesterol 153.9 mg
- Sodium 296.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 29.8 g
- Protein 12.2 g