Recipe by Juenessa
From Rosie's Bakery Cookie Book: Chocolate-Packed, Jam-Filled, Butter-Rich, No-Holds-Barred by Judy Rosenberg (1996).
- 9 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 whole large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup canned sour cherries, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan with butter or vegetable oil, or line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Make the filling:
- Place the cream cheese, sugar, and sour cream in a medium-size bowl and beat on medium-high speed until blended, 30 seconds.
- Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add the egg yolks and mix until blended, 20 seconds, set aside.
- Prepare the brownie batter:
- Melt the chocolate and butter together inches.
- the top of a double boiler placed over simmering water.
- Remove the chocolate mixture from the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Place the sugar in a medium-size bowl, and pour in the chocolate mixture.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, mix until blended, about 25 seconds,scrape the bowl.
- With the mixer on medium-low speed, add the eggs one at a time, blending after each addition until the yolk is broken and dispersed, about 10 seconds.
- Then scrape the bowl and blend until velvety, about 15 seconds.
- Add the flour on low speed and mix for 20 seconds.
- Finish the mixing with a rubber spatula, being certain to incorporate any flour at the bottom of the bowl.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan, and spread it evenly.
- Using a rubber spatula, scoop the cream cheese mixture onto the brownie batter and gently spread it evenly over the surface.
- Distribute the cherries over the filling, and use your fingers to press them down gently into the cream cheese.
- Drop the rest of the batter over the filling by large spoonfuls.
- Then, using a spatula, spread it as gently as possible over the surface (do not worry if the cream cheese shows in places).
- Bake the brownies on the center rack of the oven until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs, about 50 minutes.
- Allow the brownies to cool for 30 minutes in the pan.
- Then cut them into 2 1/4-inch squares with a sharp thin knife.
- Refrigerate the bars in the pan, covered with plastic wrap, for up to 2 days.
- After that, layer them in an airtight plastic container, with plastic wrap, parchment, or waxed paper between the layers, and store for another 2 days in the refrigerator or in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
- They are delicious either cold or at room temperature.