Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a great Transylvanian soup!! I've written you the vegetarian version but it is very common to add some pork to this. The name for this in Hungarian is lucskos and in Romanian lucicosi. Make sure that you use fresh sauerkraut packed in plastic, not from a can.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 1⁄2 medium head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 lb sauerkraut
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- salt and black pepper
- In a large soup pot heat the oil on medium high heat. Add onion and peppers and saute until onion has softened and is translucent.
- Add cabbage and carrots and saute for about five minutes, or until cabbage begins to soften.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Serve with good crusty bread and sour cream to spoon on top.
Mmmm! So delicious and not at all what I expected! I will be making this again and again. Thanks for sharing!