- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef round steak, cut 1/2 in. thick
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil, as needed (or more)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut meat into 6 serving pieces.
- Coat with flour and brown meat in a heavy skillet in the cooking oil.
- Remove meat from skillet and set aside.
- Drain oil from skillet except for just a coating in the skillet.
- Mix the water with the flour slowly until it is mixed with no lumps. Add the salt and simmer until the gravy is thick.
- Mix in the vinegar, brown sugar and cloves.
- Add the meat back to the mixture.
- Simmer covered for about 1 hr to 1 1/2 hours until the meat is tender.