Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Not sure where I found this recipe. Pretty tasty and economical.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 red cabbage head, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 medium apples, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Cook bacon till crisp in a Dutch oven; drain on paper towels. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings in Dutch oven.
- Crumble bacon; set aside.
- Add cabbage, apples, sugar, bay leaf, cloves, allspice and pepper.
- Cook, covered, over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Uncover and cook about 15 minutes more, stirring occasionally or until cabbage is tender.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Add vinegar, brown sugar and salt.
- Stir in bacon and serve.