Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
Another meatloaf recipe, this time with potato included and made more heart healthy by using ground turkey breast! All you need is a tossed green salad or steamed veggies for a nice basic meal!
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix, Lipton Beefy
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey breast or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken breast
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup (I use Hunt's but any brand will do)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute (Egg Beaters)
- 1 (4 ounce) package low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup bacon bits (I use generic, but any brand will do)
- mashed potatoes (instant, homemade or ready-made)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine soup mix, ground turkey, breadcrumbs, ketchup, water and egg substitute.
- In a shallow baking pan, shape meat mixture into a loaf.
- Bake in the pre-heated 350°F oven for 45 minutes.
- Frost the loaf with the mashed potatoes; then sprinkle with the cheddar cheese and bacon bits.
- Bake 5 more minutes in order to melt the cheese, NO browning involved; then remove from the oven and let 'settle' 5 min before serving.
- Variation: you can also swap out the cheddar cheese for a different cheese such as monterey jack.
I wish I could find a way to make this a 2-part review. The meatloaf was tasty, but the frosted outcome was a real disappointment. I think the recipe leaves us to our own devices more than it should. There was no mention of whether to use instant mashed potatoes or real ones, nor was there any mention of how to prepare them. I researched this, found quite a few similar recipes at other sites & picked one. My guests & I were standing around waiting for the potatoes to brown & it never happened. They did get crusty, but stayed a canary yellow color (due to the egg yolk I assume)! I wish I could figure out what I did wrong. My guests liked the meatloaf, but agreed that it was not esp pretty to look at. Maybe I just need to experiment till I get it right. :-)