Prep 3 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a very fast and easy one pot meal to make for the family when you are in a rush and hungry.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 (16 ounce) cancrushed tomatoes with juice
- 1 package dry onion soup mix (such as Lipton's)
- 2 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni or 2 1⁄2 cups shell pasta (uncooked)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Brown ground beef and onion in a large pot, add onion soup mix, tomatoes, water and bring to a boil.
- Stir in uncooked pasta, cover and simmer about 10-12 min until pasta cooks.
- Stir in cheddar cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and top with more cheese if you like.
This was a very quick and simple recipe to make, I liked the fact that it can be made with basic ingredients that are usually on-hand in one's pantry. It's definitely a good recipe to have for a quick weekday meal. I found the onion soup mix to be a bit overpowering -- I did not add the fresh onions, but I think it may have turned out better (for us) if I used the browned onions and maybe another flavor of soup mix (maybe mushroom).
My DH made this (which must mean it is easy--he doesn't cook!)when I had a migraine. It was easy to make, but we didn't like the flavor of the onion soup mix. We felt it would be better without the soup mix and with some garlic added.