Recipe by Steve_G
A very easy and clean chicken soup. Generous amounts of carrots and celery give this soup a natural sweetness.
Top Review by vic44105
One of the best Chicken Soup recipes that I have seen on here yet! I actually use even more carrots and celery, but that is just my preference. I would definitely recommend adding the herbs though (bay leaf, thyme, and parsley) as the help to balance the whole thing out.
- 4 chicken breasts, with bones and skin attached
- 2 whole carrots, cleaned, not skinned, cut in 2-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 3 stalks celery, cleaned, leaves attached, cut in 2-inch chunks
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 12 cups water
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- cooked noodles (optional) or cooked rice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Roast chicken breasts with large chunk-veggies in a large dutch at 400°F until done, 35-45 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and cool.
- Remove meat from breasts and reserve.
- Place skin and bones back into the dutch oven.
- Place pan back on stove over a medium heat, stirring occasionally until contents are well browned.
- Add small amount of water to pan and bring to a boil, stir to remove all brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add remaining water and peppercorns, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook, partially covered, for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
- Skim as required.
- Add more water if level gets too low.
- You can add any other herbs that you like at this time.
- I like thyme and basil, but nothing is required.
- Remove dutch oven from heat, skim fat off surface and strain liquid into a soup pot.
- Place soup pot over medium heat and bring stock to a boil.
- Add chopped veggies and parsley and lower heat to maintain a good rolling boil.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until veggies are tender and sweet.
- Lower heat to simmer.
- Adjust water to suit your own tastes add more if you want more, weaker, broth.
- If desired add some frozen vegetables at this time.
- A bit of corn and lima beans are good, While the veggies are boiling chop reserved chicken and prepare your noodles.
- Add chicken to pot and stir.
- Don't add the chicken too early or it will be shredded.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Place noodles or rice in bottom of a soup bowl, ladle a generous amount of soup over it.
- Don't add your rice/pasta to the main soup bowl--it will quickly over cook and become mush (and ruin all your leftovers!).