Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a tasty little pie,easy to do, that my Mom used to make us. Not sure where she got the recipe. You can adjust the seasonings to taste and play around with it, once I added green onions to the potatoe mixture and also used some grated parmesan on top with the melted cheddar. I like this with some peaches 'n' cream corn niblets on the side and some homemade pickles and/or chow. Nice with a side salad too.
- 1 lb ground beef (I use lean)
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 10 1⁄2 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Thoroughly mix 1/2 cup of the soup, beef, onion, breadcrumbs, egg,parsley& seasonings.
- Press firmly into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes;spoon off fat.
- (I usually dab with some paper towel if i get any excess, not much with lean beef though) Frost the pie with mashed potatoes that have been mixed with the remaining soup.
- (i usually prepare the potatoes while the meat layer is cooking.) Sprinkle with grated cheese and return to the oven for another 10 mins or until done.
Original recipe from Campbells, on the soup can, called for Cream of Mushroom Soup. Also, instead of mixing the second half of the can with the mashed potatoes, spread it over the potatoes then sprinkle the cheese. This was on the soup cans and in their cookbook. A much better result, moisture-wise.
This was such a simple recipe but so tasty. I assembled it the night before and just had to pop it in the oven when I came home from work. I will make this again.Thanks
I won't rate this the 1 star that my particular attempt at making this recipe earned. Honestly, I have no idea what could have gone wrong. It's a pretty straight forward recipe and I'm sure I followed it exactly! But after cooking the meat mixture for well over an hour it was still moist and mushy, and I was expecting it to be more like meat loaf in texture. It was also still pinkish in the center. I gave up on the meat part and we ate the mashed potato mixture by itself with cheese and trashed the meat part. very disappointing since it took at least an hour and half to make and wait for it to cook only to have to dump it in the trash. Oh well! Hope no one else has these problems, since most people seem to have enjoyed this.