Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Gammon soup from Geneva. 'Gammon' = ham. :) You can substitute parsley for the chervil, if necessary. Be very careful with the salt - you may find that you do not even need any if the gammon/ham is fairly salty.
- 400 g , salty unsmoked gammon in one piece (ham)
- 2 liters stock or 2 liters water
- 500 g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 leeks, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 125 g long grain rice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 50 g chervil, stalks removed and chopped
- Place the gammon in a large pan with with the stock or water, bring to a boil and skim.
- Add the potatoes, leeks and onion.
- Boil a few minutes, continuing to skim.
- Reduce the heat, cover and continue cooking for 1 hour.
- Remove the gammon, reserve and keep warm.
- Add the rice to the soup, season lightly and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the gammon into thin slices.
- Serve the soup in bowls with the gammon slices and garnished with the chervil.