Recipe by Gerry
A delicious soup from a community fund raiser cookbook printed in the 90's - the cookbooks that have members sharing their best recipes. A wonderfully favourable soup that is a real winner at our house.
Top Review by Terese
Delicious soup, perfect for winter. I made last night exactly as written except used only 1 cup carrots as they are not a favourite als used canned tomatoes. It was flavoursome and really hearty. Thanks
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups onions (chopped)
- 8 cups hot water
- 2 cups carrots (chopped)
- 2 cups celery (chopped)
- 2 cups potatoes (diced)
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (I use more)
- 2 teaspoons beef, concentrate (I use beef bouillon cubes)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon basil (or to taste, on occasion I use thyme instead)
- 4 cups tomatoes (or 4 cups canned tomatoes)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large soup pot brown ground beef, add onions and celery simmer until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining ingredients except tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are done.
- Add tomatoes and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Serve with freshly baked bread or rolls for a hearty meal.