Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious soup from a community fund raiser cookbook printed in the 90's - the cookbooks that have members sharing their best recipes. A wonderfully favourable soup that is a real winner at our house.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups onions (chopped)
- 8 cups hot water
- 2 cups carrots (chopped)
- 2 cups celery (chopped)
- 2 cups potatoes (diced)
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (I use more)
- 2 teaspoons beef, concentrate (I use beef bouillon cubes)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon basil (or to taste, on occasion I use thyme instead)
- 4 cups tomatoes (or 4 cups canned tomatoes)
- In large soup pot brown ground beef, add onions and celery simmer until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining ingredients except tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are done.
- Add tomatoes and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Serve with freshly baked bread or rolls for a hearty meal.
Delicious soup, perfect for winter. I made last night exactly as written except used only 1 cup carrots as they are not a favourite als used canned tomatoes. It was flavoursome and really hearty. Thanks
I made this a couple weeks ago when our weather turned cold and rainy to warm us up. It was delicious, great comfort food! I used ground round, beef broth in place of the water, left the skin on the potatoes, and used canned petite diced tomatoes. Left it to simmer for one hour and loved it. I think some beans or maybe even a small pasta would taste good in this soup too. Made and reviewed for the Australian/NewZealand Forums Recipe Swap #38.
This soup is a delicious basic where the broth is the star. I enjoyed the flavor added by the bay leaves & basil. I used only 1 pound of venison and added a green pepper & green beans. I also used 4 cups of beef stock in place of half of the water. Next time I will use peite diced tomatoes. Thanks Gerry for sharing your recipe! I will be making it again. =)