Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is from the Canadian Living Slow Cooker Recipe Cookbook. It states that this soup is still the test kitchen’s favourite pea soup. This keeps well in the refrigerator, you might have to thin it a bit with water when reheating. If you do not have a ham bone you may use an 8 oz piece of salt pork, chopped into bite sized pieces.
- In large bowl, soak peas in 6 cups water for 12 hours or up to 24 hours. Drain and Rinse. Place in slow cooker.
- Add 6 cups water, ham bone, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaf and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low until vegetables are tender, about 6 hours.
- Discard hambone and bay leaf.
- Mix red onions with vinegar.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with spoonfuls of onion mixture.
This is fantastic! I made a couple of small changes. I used chicken broth for part of the water and I added some diced potatoes to accommodate my family's preferences. Made for KK's forum tag.