Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 hrs 30 mins
In 'The French Slow Cooker' by Michele Scicolone
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium boiling potatoes, peeled and chopped (Yukon Gold)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped canned tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 8 cups water
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans (drained canned are ok)
- 1 cup small shell pasta (ditalini or elbows)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh basil leaves, washed and well dried
- 1 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, washed and well dried
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Make the pistou-in a food processor or blender, combine the herbs and garlic; process until finely chopped; add salt to taste.
- Blend in the oil; taste for seasoning and adjust (may use immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days).
- Soupe-in a large slow cooker, combine the carrots, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, zucchini, and water; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the beans and pasta; cook until the pasta is tender, about 30 minutes; taste for seasoning and adjust.
- Spoon the soup into serving bowls; top each bowl with a spoonful of the pistou and serve hot.
My family has recently switched to a mostly plant-based diet and I'm frantically looking for fresh new vegetarian recipes. I found this one while searching for a way to use up some pasta and veggies we had languishing in the kitchen, and am so glad I did! Oh, my goodness! This soup was absolutely delicious! Even my meat-loving husband gobbled it up! Definitely serve with a baguette or other crusty bread for dipping. Delicious!!