Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
Supposedly a recipe from the kitchens of Le Grappe d'Or, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- 6 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup chablis or 1 cup red wine
- 1 quart beef broth
- 6 large croutons, made from sliced French bread
- 2 cups swiss cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- In a heavy bottomed frying pan, melt the butter and the sugar together.
- Add the onions and slowly brown them until they are dark brown (about 30 minutes). Stir frequently remembering to use a wooden spoon to occasionally lift off the brown from the bottom of the pan.
- Add flour, cooking and stirring it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth and simmer partially covered for 1 hour.
- To serve, ladle each serving into an oven proof serving bowl and top with one crouton per bowl. Cover each bowl generously with Swiss cheese and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake covered on a baking sheet at 325F for 15 minutes and then uncovered for another 10 minutes. Serve.