Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This soup is a nice starter to a Greek meal.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups vegetable stock or 6 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups blanched almonds
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- watercress leaf
- nutmeg (to garnish)
- Melt butter in large saucepan, add onions and cook on medium heat until onion is wilted; blend in flour.
- Stir in vegetable stock. Cook, stirring until smooth and boiling.
- In a processor or nut chopper, finely chop almonds to resemble a paste.
- Add to soup along with seasonings, stirring with a fork to break up the almond paste.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Combine cream, egg yolks and lemon rind. Pour slowly into the hot mixture, stirring constantly.
- Heat but do not bring to a boil.
- Serve garnished with sprigs of watercress and a sprinkle of nutmeg.