Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This tasty soup is very popular in Greece and Cyprus. I remember my father making it on chilly winter days, especially when there were colds and flu in the household! Sometimes he would add chopped, cooked chicken to the soup, and other times he would serve it plain. This is a taste of my childhood.
- Bring broth to boil in saucepan, and add rice or orzo.
- Cover and cook on medium low heat for 20-25 minutes (rice) or 10 minutes (orzo).
- While the rice cooks, lightly beat the eggs and the lemon juice together.
- Remove the broth from heat.
- Slowly mix about one cup of the hot broth into egg-lemon mixture.
- Add to the soup gradually while stirring.
- Place saucepan back on the heat, and stir until soup is heated through (DO NOT BOIL).
This recipe was perfect. The others have too much stuff in them. This is exactly how my greek friends make it!
this is a very well represented traditional avgolemono. Simple, delicious, timeless.
This recipe is so simple yet so good! I just had two big bowls of it for lunch and it turned out great. :) One thing I've learned from experience is when reheating, keep the heat on LOW, gently warming the soup - otherwise the egg in the broth may burn or stick to the bottom of the pot. Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe.