1/1 Photo of Soupa Avgolemono (Egg-Lemon Soup)
This tasty soup is very popular in Greece and Cyprus. I remember my father making it on chilly winter days, especially when there were colds and flu in the household! Sometimes he would add chopped, cooked chicken to the soup, and other times he would serve it plain. This is a taste of my childhood.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring broth to boil in saucepan, and add rice or orzo.
- 2Cover and cook on medium low heat for 20-25 minutes (rice) or 10 minutes (orzo).
- 3While the rice cooks, lightly beat the eggs and the lemon juice together.
- 4Remove the broth from heat.
- 5Slowly mix about one cup of the hot broth into egg-lemon mixture.
- 6Add to the soup gradually while stirring.
- 7Place saucepan back on the heat, and stir until soup is heated through (DO NOT BOIL).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Soupa Avgolemono (Egg-Lemon Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 164.8
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 798.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 9.6 g