Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A Greek classic, fresh in flavour. Use liquid eggs(egg beaters)for a lighter version.
Make and share this Soupa Avgolemono recipe from Food.com.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- Bring chicken broth to a boil.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion and rice. Simmer until rice and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat lemon juice and eggs; slowly add some of the hot broth to the egg mixture beating steadily to temper it. Gradually whisk the egg mixture back into the hot soup.
- Cook over minimum heat, without boiling, until soup thickens, about 5 minutes.
- DO NOT BOIL soup after adding the eggs.
I love the lemony flavor--so very good
This is so good, I'm glad I tried it! Made for Family Picks round of ZWT 6 and I'm a Quisine Queen. I love the light lemony taste. It is a nice summer soup.
This is my fave soup in the Greek restaurants around here. Now I am happy to see I can make it easily at home. I followed the recipe exactly and added a grind of fresh pepper to each serving. Thanks for posting Sage. Made for Zwizzle Chicks for ZWT6.