Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a rich and creamy, mildly spicy, slightly sweet and tart butternut squash soup
Make and share this Soup Thai Curry and Coconut Butternut Squash Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 -2 teaspoon Thai red curry paste, more if you like it hotter
- 6 fresh lime leaves, middle vein removed and torn into pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- toasted coconut (to garnish)
- Preheat over to 400°F Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Brush the cut sides of the squash with oil and place cut side down on a baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until very tender. The squash should have a creamy texture. Once the squash has cooled enough to handle, scoop the flesh out of the peel using a spoon.
- In an heavy bottomed pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger and garlic and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the curry paste and cook for a few more minutes. The curry will start to give off a wonderful aroma. Stir in the chicken broth, coconut milk, salt, squash and shredded lime leaves. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice. Puree soup with a hand mixer or in a blender. Serve garnished with unsweetened coconut toasted at 400°F for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown.