Recipe by Sascha
These soup puffs are like a rich home-made Italian egg pasta or German spaetzle. It takes minutes to prepare, and they add glamour to any hot soup. You can also make a soup puff dough into vermicelli if you knead more water in the dough until it is thin as mashed potato. Then press this through a strainer directly into the hot soup. This recipe is from "Serious Kitchen Play" by George Erdosh
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolk with fork, add flour and salt, then stir with a spoon to make a dough.
- Add water teaspoon at a time to form a medium-thick dough; let dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Dust a small cutting board with flour and dump the dough near one edge.
- Hold the cutting board over the simmering soup, pinch off raisin size pieces of dough with a small paring knife or a spoon and drop them in the liquid.
- Stick the knife or spoon in the hot soup momentarily to prevent dough from sticking to it.
- When all the dough is in the soup, give the puffs another 3 minutes to cook; taste one to make sure.