I made this for Xmas gifts last year and everyone raved about this soup. While similar to other recipes it has additional ingredients in the mix and in the preparation. I had space left in the jars I was using so I added baggies with Goldfish crackers and directed that they be removed with the macaroni.
- 1⁄3 cup beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 cup dried split peas
- 1⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup dry lentils
- 1⁄4 cup dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked alphabet pasta
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 quarts water
- fresh ground black pepper
- Place the alphabet macaroni in a sealed plastic sandwich bag.
- In a 1 1/2 pint jar, layer the ingredients in the order given.
- Attach the following recipe to the jar.
- 1 jar soup mix.
- 1 pound ground beef.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced.
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes.
- 3 quarts water.
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Remove macaroni and set aside.
- In a large pot, brown ground beef with the garlic and drain excess fat.
- Add tomatoes, water and soup mix.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add macaroni, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes.