Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The Soup Kitchen's blackeyed-pea soup. Good lunch time delight.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- salt and black pepper
- beef stock
- 4 cups dices tomatoes
- 6 cups black-eyed peas, canned or dried (cooked)
- flour, and water to thicken
- Brown meat, saute vegetables.
- Mix together with seasonings in a large pot.
- Add tomatoes, black-eyed peas and as much beef stock as needed.
- Thicken to desired consistency with flour and water.
- Wisk flour and water together, then pour through a strainer to avoid lumps.
This was a fabUlous soup! I've been searching for a Black-Eyed Pea Soup and was SOOO excited to come across this recipe! I made a few adjustments however, as our family does NOT consume red meat. I used herbed chicken from a deli Rotisserie Chicken sliced in the food processor, 4cups chicken broth, 1 1/2tsp salt & 1/2tsp ground thyme. I also pureed 4 cups after boiling for more texture and thickened a bit w/cornstarch & H2O. It was great w/jalapeno cheesy bread! Thank you for posting! SCRUMPTIOUS!
This was awesome! I added okra, collard greens and cooked rice because I made it right after New Years and I had those leftovers. It was really great!!!
Good soup. I used a quart of beef stock, which seemed about right. I took abloom69's suggestion and added some thyme. Thanks, Danny Beason!