Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The Soup Kitchen's famous beef and barley soup.
- 1 lb lean ground beef, cooked, drained
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 gallon beef stock
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes or 2 (16 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 2 cups barley
- parsley, for good looks
- Brown ground beef, drain.
- Sauté vegetables with seasonings.
- Add remaining ingredient, simmer till done.
Don't think I'll make this again as it didn't have much flavor to me. I used fresh garlic instead of "granules" but didn't think that would make much difference.
Best beef/barley soup I have ever made. My father-in-law eats soup every day, so I need a variety for him. He also gives 5 stars. I usually do not like beef soups - seem to have a kind of bitter after taste to me. Brown sugar-that's the secret to a mellow beef soup. We will have it for dinner + grilled cheese sandwiches because the whole family loves it! Thanks!!
I made this last night. It was beautiful and really easy to make. Thank you!