Recipe by JoyfulCook
An easy hearty soup! easy to make, specially good served on a cold evening with crusty bread sitting in front of a glowing fire!
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 carrot, large -chopped
- 1 potato, large, chopped
- 4 ounces ham, smoked, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup soup mix, dried, beans, lentils and barley
- 1 tomatoes, large peeled, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 bacon stock cube
- 8 cups water, hot
- salt and pepper, to season
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice onions, celery, and potatoes and minced garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, and saute the onions, celery, potatoes, garlic and chopped ham for a couple of minutes.
- add the water, dried soup mix, stock cubes, tomato puree, tomato and seasoning simmer for approx 30 minutes.
- cool slightly and puree about a third of the ingredients and return to the pot - this thickens the soup.
- Serve with warm crusty bread for a great supper dish or as a first course for dinner.