Prep 2 mins
Cook 30 mins
I serve this soup on a blustery winter's night to warm the soul and body, but most of all, we use it whenever someone is feeling ill in our house. I find that it is easier on the tummy than chicken noodle soup and despite how weird it sounds, it tastes fantastic. Couldn't be easier, either. Try it, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (not a cornmeal mix) or 1 cup white cornmeal (not a cornmeal mix)
- 4 cups chicken broth (homemade stock is preferable but low sodium low fat canned is fine)
- In a medium stockpot, bring chicken broth to a simmer.
- Slowly stir in cornmeal and simmer, stirring often for about 30 minutes or until smooth with a creamy texture.
- This also makes a great soup-base for other soups. You can make it as thin or as thick as you like by adjusting the amount of cornmeal.
- This soup is bland until you add your favorite spices or seasonings. We start with it like this -- perfect for sick days.