Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
If you love soup, love mushrooms, this is a wonderful recipe.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only. (halved length-wise and thinly sliced)
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3 large portabella mushrooms (about 1 lb.)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- MELT the butter in a 6 quart pan.
- ADD the leeks and onion and saute over medium heat until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
- LOWER the heat, cover the pan, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occcasionally. Add the mushrooms, stir to combine, cover and cook 10 minutes longer.
- RAISE the heat to medium, stir in the flour, and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- ADD the thyme, bay leaf, stock, salt and pepper.
- SIMMER, partially covered for about 10 minutes.
- COOL the soup lightly, then discard the bay leaf and puree the soup with an immersion blender.
- RETURN the puree soup to the saucepan and add the cream.
- COOK over low heat until heated through but do not let the soup boil. Taste and adjust the seasonsings.
- LADLE into warm bowls and garnish with parsley and serve immediately.