Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A delicious soup gleaned from the magazine Saveur. Made with potato, leek, onion, and parsley with added cream, this is sure to please!
- 5 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 leek, trimmed, thinly sliced, and washed
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- 3 cups tightly packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1 3⁄4 cups heavy cream (I use part half & half)
- 1 bunch chives, chopped (or other fresh green herbs)
- salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add potatoes, leeks, onions, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally. When potatoes begin to stick to the bottom of the pot(about 15 minutes), reduce heat to medium low. Continue cooking vegetables until soft, about 15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, bring 8 cups water to a boil in another pot. Add 1 tbls. salt and the parsley and boil for 5 minutes. Strain parsley, reserving 6 cups of the water.
- Add reserved cooking water to the pot of vegetables and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes, add cream and simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Puree the soup with reserved parsley in batches(be careful not to fill the blender up too full or it will overflow!) until it is smooth. Adjust the seasonings. Serve the soup garnished with chives or other herbs and with additional sea salt at the table, if desired. Enjoy!
Thanks for posting this recipe. I made it for my partner who had their wisdom tooth extracted. Very yummy! Extremely comforting, especially if you're sore and hungry. Also thanks Tallie for the warning about the blender, i went real easy on it :)
This was an excellent soup! DELICIOUS! So, why only 3 stars? The instructions were impossible! I spent 1/2 the time scratching my head! I tried to puree the soup in my blender-IT BLEW UP! ALL OVER MY KITCHEN!! OMG! So, chefs of Recipeezaar, PUREE vegs & parsley 1st, THEN, add H2O and cream OR your kitchen will EXPLODE too! It is worth it tho...
Excellent interpretation of Soup D'Herbes Potageres. This a wonderful soup. Especially good as a first course to chicken or fish. Very easy to make and very good for the constitution