Recipe by pammyowl
Recipes for onion soup vary around the world, but this one is a classic. Workers used this delicious soup as a morning pick me up at Les Halles, the central food market in Paris that has, sadly, been demolished. For Zaar World Tour 8
- 29.58 ml butter
- 14.79 ml oil
- 4.92 ml brown sugar
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 14.79 ml flour
- 566.99 g condensed beef consomme
- 566.99 g water
- 29.58 ml medium sherry (optional)
- 9.85 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 8 slice baguette
- 14.79 ml whole grain mustard (optional)
- 236.59 ml gruyere cheese, shredded (or Swiss)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the butter and oil in a large pan. Add the onions and brown sugar. Simmer gently on medium low heat, stirring occasionally, for about twenty minutes, until the onions are translucent and golden.
- Add the flour and cook for about 2 minutes more.
- Add the consomme and water, sherry and Worcestershire sauce, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Lightly toast the baguettes on both sides. On one side of each piece spread the mustard and sprinkle on the cheese. Broil until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls , put two croutes on top of each one. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.