Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Bistro Onion Soup
- 4 large onions, sliced (2lbs.)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 (1/2 inch) diagonally sliced French bread, toasted
- 8 slices gruyere cheese
- in dutch oven over med. heat saute onion in butter until golden, stirring often. Stir in flour;cook one minute. add water and next 8 ingredients. bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 30 minute Discard bay leaves.
- Ladle soup into 4 individual oven proof soup bowls. place on a baking sheet. Add 2 slices of bread to each bowl and cover with 2 slices of cheese. Broil 5 1/2 inches from heat for 2 minute or until cheese is bubbly. Serve immediately.
- Equal amounts of chicken broth and beef broth can be substitued for the red and white wine but omit the 1/2 t salt.
I love your recipe. I'm a big fan and so is my family...