Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
The curry powder adds a unique touch to this hearty soup, don't skip the cheese topping it's the perfect finishing touch! This was a dish all our kids would eat when little and the was the one way everyone ate cooked cabbage. A bonus was how easy it was to make. The veggies are flexible, my kids didn't like zuchinni so I would sub frozen french cut green beans or corn.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (whole are best for flavor, diced work too)
- 32 ounces low sodium beef broth
- 2 potatoes, diced large (about an inch)
- 5 carrots, sliced thick
- 1⁄2 cabbage, cut in long strips
- 1 large onion, chopped in larger pieces
- 2 zucchini, scrubbed and cubed or
- 2 cups frozen french cut green beans
- 3 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- grated cheddar cheese
- Brown and drain the ground beef in a large pot, add everything else except the cheese, simmer until the carrots and potatoes are tender, about an hour, half way through taste the broth and adjust the seasoning to taste, the curry should be present without being dominant. Add extra broth or water as needed.
- Remove bay leaf, serve with a generous sprinkle of cheddar cheese.
I followed the suggestions in breezermom's review, using the larger amount of spices. I must say that the curry really put this soup over the top. This was so full of flavor and filling too. I will definitely be making this again.
This soup is full of wonderful tastes! I used the larger portion of spices, and added more broth to mine, because as posted this is more of a stew.....very little liquid left. I also had to cook mine longer to get the potatoes and carrots tender, so I'll either cut those smaller or cook longer from now on. This is a very satisfying soup, and I'll make it often in the winter months. Love the curry in this....I think I'll enjoy even an extra portion of curry in mine next time! Thanks for sharing a wonderful one-dish meal!
I pulled out the soup pot this morning and made the full amount of this winter perfect soup. I went with the green bean option and added more broth. We had a great lunch of the soup and Recipe #336950. It's really hearty and you won't need anything else because it's a full meal in it's self. Lots of great flavor here.