Recipe by Southern Lady
Recipe by the "Queen of Soul Food" Sylvia Woods (RIP 7/19/12) You can use Sugar Substitute or Regular Sugar. Woods teamed up with Spenda to reduce calories in some of her recipes. I use Xylitol or Ideal Sugar Substitute and think it's healthier than Spenda IMHO
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 2 cups Splenda sugar substitute, Sugar Substitute (granular)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sweet potato, cooked and mashed
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan. Sprinkle walnuts in pan; set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar or sugar substitute, baking powder, salt and soda in a large bowl; set aside.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer for about two minutes or until creamy.
- Add sweet potatoes, buttermilk and extracts, beating until blended.
- Add flour mixture in thirds, beating until batter is smooth after each addition.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in the center comes our clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan, and cool on a wire rack.
- Remove from pan nut side up.