Recipe by grandma2969
This came from a soul food cookbook...it is wonderful!
Top Review by Sharlene~W
I'll give it 4 stars for the actual banana bread. But the overall was only worth a 3. The bread was good, with the orange flavors, but the glaze was um...well..next time I wouldn't make it. For starters, it boiled over my pan--twice. Once in a small pan and again in a large pan! I knew I was in for trouble when the recipe said to put a lid on it raise the heat and boil for 3 minutes. The recipe actually made quite a bit of a praline-type sauce thicker than what I would call a "glaze". Even with the spillovers, I ended up with over a cup of sauce that was so sweet and thick you wouldn't want to use very much. If I were to make the glaze again, I would only make a half batch unless you want a lot of leftovers to drizzle over ice cream or something.
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Generously butter a 9x5" loaf pan.or 8" round cake pan.dust with flour and shake out excess.set aside.
- Coarsely chop walnuts and toss with 2 tbls of flour.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and set aside.
- Combine mashed bananas with orange juce, set aside.
- Combine eggs, sugar, oil, sour cream and orange peel in the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle and beat on medium-high 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in mashed banana mixture.and beat for 1 more minute.
- Add flour mixture on low speed just till combined.
- Stir in floured walnuts with wooden spoon.
- Pour into prepared pan; shake gently.
- Place on lower rack in oven.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes at 350°F.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool completely on rack.
- To prepare GLAZE: Combine all glaze ingredients except butter and vanilla; in a saucepan and cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Cover pan, raise heat and boil for 3 minutes.
- Uncover, reduce heat to medium -- cook without stirring, but swirl pan until honey thickness, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
- Cool completely and spread on cake.