Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
From a request here is a post on a traditional Halloween recipe. From Texarkana Pagan and Witches group on MSN originally. Soul cakes were the original trick-or-treat goody. Irish peasants would go door-to door on All Hallows Eve begging homeowners for food to celebrate the occasion. Soul cakes were given to them. This ensured the homeowner would be free from a curse or prank; instead, the receivers would offer prayers for them that would help them get into heaven.
- 1 cup butter, two sticks American
- 3 3⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 1 cup fine sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 4 -6 tablespoons milk
- powdered sugar, to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the butter into the flour with a pastry blender or a large fork.
- Blend in the sugar, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon and allspice; beat eggs, vinegar, and milk together.
- Mix with the flour mixture until a stiff dough is formed.
- Knead thoroughly and roll out 1/4-inch thick.
- Cut into 3-inch rounds and place on greased baking sheets. Prick several times with a fork and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar while still warm.
I've been making this recipe for 3 years now. When we first moved into our house in 2011, I am pretty positive I saw a ghost of some sort. My sister, being the wicca-dabbling anthropologist she is, suggested I make soul cakes as an offering. So, I stumbled upon this recipe and have been making these delicious morsels ever since. SUPER simple recipe--which makes them even better, I think. Plus, the combination of spices is terrific! I almost want to try increasing the amount of a couple of the spices next time to see if I get can the slightly spicier flavor that I prefer. Either way--simple, delicious and I prefer to slightly undercook these, as I prefer all cookies less crispy/crunchy.
Mmmmm!! I love a recipe with history! Added a few tablespoons of currants and made these for Halloween dessert. Great combination of spices. I've been curse-free for five whole days! Thanks for posting this traditional recipe. cg ;)