Deb's Recipes's Note:
This recipe is from a French cooking class I took about twenty-five years ago. I decided to post it now for Zaar World Tour II.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2In a saucepan, bring water, butter, and salt to a rolling boil; remove from heat.
- 3Whisk in flour and stir until dough comes together; add eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition until batter is smooth.
- 4Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet; use wet fork tines to fluff up each mound of dough.
- 5Bake at 375° for 10 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350° and continue baking for another 15 minutes until pastry puffs are light golden-brown; turn off oven but do NOT open oven door; after several minutes remove puffs from oven and slice; return puffs to baking sheet then return sheet to oven; allow puffs to rest several minutes inside oven with oven door slightly ajar.
- 6Stir together sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan; add milk, vanilla, and egg yolks; cook over low-medium heat, stirring, until thick; cool in refrigerator.
- 7Whip cream until stiff and fold it gently into cooled filling mixture; spoon or pipe filling into pastry puffs; sprinkle powdered sugar over top.
- 8NOTE: The unfilled puffs freeze well, may later be filled with your favorite chicken or ham salads, and can be made small-sized for appetizers ~ I've often enjoyed them this way at wedding showers :) .
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Souffles De Crème (Cream Puffs)
Serving Size: 1 (63 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 121.0
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 72.5 mg
- Sodium 88.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 2.7 g