Recipe by katie in the UP
I found this recipe in the Gourmet Magazine Oct/2008. Sounds like truly comfort food!! It accompanied a wonderful article about Clementine Paddleford, if you get a chance read it!! I will update once I have made it. (also going to try and cut some of the fat).
- 1 1⁄2 cups scalded milk
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cooked macaroni
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup diced pimento
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour milk over bread crumbs; add cheese.
- Cover and let stand until cheese melts.
- Add macaroni.
- Combine and add beaten egg yolks, pimento, parsley, onion, salt and melted butter.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into mixture.
- Pour into a buttered 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees until puffed and golden, about 35 minutes.